Sunday, March 27, 2011

DIY Trays Part One ~ Marbled Clay Tray

So this weekend I ended up going a little tray crazy on the DIY front. The first technique I'm going to feature is using oven bake clay.




I came up with this idea after wandering the isles at Michael's and seeing these three beautiful shades of purple clay, and gold enamel.


As soon as i saw these colors, I was instantly reminded of Kelly Wearstlers pink office that I featured in my monochromatic room post. I immediately got to work ,mixing up the colors to create a marbled effect. I found the best way to get a marbled look without mushing everything together into one color, was to start with long rolls of each color, and then rubbing them together in my hand, folding it over, and continuing until the colors had dispersed to my liking.





After flattening out and shaping the trays, I used gold gloss enamel paint to rim the edges. After letting the paint cure for 48 hours, they were ready for the oven.





After 15 minutes (Check your clay for specific cooking times) they were ready for a coat of clear gloss coating. I used Krylon Low Odor Clear Gloss spray, which you can get here.

The finished products





Come back tomorrow to see our DIY monogramed tray!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...